Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Split Pea Soup

Today my 8 yr old made split pea soup from scratch. He measured the peas, chopped the ham onion and celery. Simmered it and seasoned it. Then he proceeded to make the biscuit mix. I looked in wonder at it all and thought to myself "if he keeps this up... I will have worked myself out of cooking dinner soon!" Not that cooking seems like a chore to me, but it was rather refreshing to have a little break. Just a thought... wouldn't it be nice if once a week I had him make dinner on his own? I could share the good and bad with you all and see if you would be willing to do the same. Little kids are cool. They have great ideas. Who knew that today would be the day I realized he was ready. So this is new. Monday Meals by My Little Man (or men since the youngest isn't far behind!).

Here is the recipe He used for the split pea soup. Its pretty basic, but it is a great one to start with.

Split Pea Soup
1 lb dry split peas
1/2 lb lean ham, cut up small
1 medium minced onion
3 stock celery, minced
2 tsp all purpose seasoning (we used mine, but Mrs. Dash would work)
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
6 cups water
1T bullion paste (soup base)

Put all ingredients in a large 2 quart covered pot and simmer on med.-low for about 1 1/2 hours, stir every 10-15 minutes.
Just before serving, add 3 T chopped fresh parsley.




Compliments of Chef Tess

No comments: